Welcome to the
Online Summer Prep-Campus for PPE
Welcome to the Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) Bachelor’s Programme at the VU University, Amsterdam! In the programme, we make use of mathematics. Understanding facts and numbers will improve your understanding about economics and politics, and will help you make better and viable strategic choices. For these reasons, you will start your first semester with a Methods course in which Mathematics plays an important role. The course covers a lot of material rather quickly and from experience we know that the pace can be daunting.
Is my Maths level sufficient?We checked the Maths level of all new PPE students and since you have been admitted you should be able to follow the programme successfully. If you are not sure yourself, or you simply want to have an extra check, you can do a self-assessment test, which we have developed. This diagnostic test is free and its only purpose is to give you the additional information. It lets you know how your current quantitative skills fit with the topics that will be covered in the methods course. If your current skills are lower than advised, the diagnostic test will also provide suggestions on how to improve.
How to take the diagnostic test
- Register here.
- Go to your email and confirm your registration by clicking on the link in the email.
- You are now in the class "VU Diagnostic Test 2019".
- Please read the instructions first, the test is visible on the right-hand side under TESTS.
- You will have 30 minutes to finish the test.
- Submit the test by clicking on the green "submit" button.
Test resultsThe test results may recommend that you reinforce your current quantitative skills by doing some extra formal preparation prior to the start of your PPE studies. There are all sorts of options available for doing so. The university offers a VU Summer Course 2019. It is online and supervised by VU faculty involved in the PPE programme. However, the online math course is not free of charge. The fee covers the actual costs of the course (the university does not have a commercial interest).
In a nutshell, there are two kinds of advices:
- You don’t have the necessary skills to start your study. In this case we strongly recommend to fresh up your knowledge by joining our VU Summer Course 2019. The costs are 49 EUR.
- Your level is sufficient or even excellent. For those of you who want to be extra well prepared you could follow the online course VU Advanced Summer Course 2019. This covers about 80 percent of the content of the math course that starts in September. If you are already familiar with the content you will have a cool start and can concentrate on other courses in period 1. The costs are 59 EUR.
- The math is nicely explained with many examples.
- There is an unlimited amount of quizzes that give you immediate automatic feedback for self-assessment.
- There is a forum to ask questions whenever you want. There is always someone to help you.
- We offer three training tests for optimal preparation for the entry test in September.
- We offer three webinars for live interaction.